There are more than 9.5 million people who call Los Angeles County home and about 645,745 of them are living with a serious mental illness or serious emotional disturbance, according to California’s Department of Mental Health. That equals about 6.78 percent of the county’s population and includes the residents of Carson, California.
How best to treat these many and varied mental health disorders? Proven treatments like group therapy and one-on-one therapy in addition to medication may be the best options depending upon the diagnosis, but in many cases, alternative therapies can help make a strong treatment plan even stronger and increase the ability of the patient to heal on multiple levels.
Alternative Therapies Increase Efficacy of Mental Health Treatment
Traditional therapies can provide a solid groundwork for recovery from anxiety, depression, stress, grief and other disorders but for some patients, the going may be slow. One way to increase the pace of treatment and break through to patients who have a hard time articulating their experience through words is to make use of alternative therapies. According to the National Institute of Mental Health, some effective approaches include:
- Psychodynamic therapy. Identifying the unconscious drives and forgotten experiences that influence decisions can be effective in choosing new positive behaviors and leaving self-destructive behaviors behind.
- Creative arts therapies. Exploring the mind through creative arts like drawing, painting, dance, writing, music and others can help patients who have a hard time expressing their emotions through dialogue.
- Skills therapies. Learning skills can help patients to develop self-esteem.
- Animal-assisted therapies. Working with dogs, cats and horses can increase a patient’s ability to trust and connect with others.
- Play therapies. Used with children, this therapy uses toys and play to communicate concepts and emotions that are difficult to put into words.
Find Comprehensive Psychotherapeutic and Medical Treatment When You Call Today
If you are living in Carson, CA and you are ready to find new mental health treatment services to improve your quality of treatment, we are standing by to assist you. Call now for information.