New legislation in California is making it illegal for anyone with a history of a mental health disorder to own a firearm. Supporters of the legislation are proposing that this policy should be adopted nationwide. That could mean that hundreds of thousands of gun owners could have their firearms seized by the government. Mental health advocates fear that this will further stigmatize mental illness as individuals in California towns like Palm Springs are singled out based on the fact that they once sought treatment for mental health issues.
Treating Bipolar Disorder
Bipolar disorder affects millions of Americans. These individuals experience alternating periods of elation and depression. Hallucinations and delusions are also common among people with bipolar disorder. Treatment for this disorder works to stabilize the individual’s mood, keep them from endangering themselves or others, and lessen the frequency of episodes that they experience. Treating this disorder may involve several components and treatments, including:
- Medication. Mood stabilizers, antipsychotics, and anti-seizure drugs are commonly used.
- Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT). Passing an electric current through the brain to relieve symptoms. A last resort, this type of treatment can be effective when an individual is not responding well to medication or cannot take medications.
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS). Using powerful magnets to target certain areas of the brain.
- Hospitalization. For severe situations, individuals may need to be hospitalized until the situation passes and they are stabilized.
- Family support. Helping the family to understand what the individual is dealing with and involving them in the treatment process.
Learning to Live Again
Living a healthy, fulfilling life with a mental health disorder is possible. Call this number today to learn more about treatment options and help your Palm Springs loved one learn how to live again.