The California Mental Health Services Authority (CalMHSA) is running a public health campaign that addresses suicide called Know the Signs. This three-year campaign will educate people in Santa Cruz County, CA towns like Watsonville, California on issues like the recognition of the warning signs of suicide, prevention and early intervention. According to data released late last year, Santa Cruz County has a higher suicide rate than the rest of the state.
What Lies Behind Suicide
Suicide is a serious issue that is often linked to mental health issues, so knowing the signs of mental illness is helpful. Individuals who suffer from bipolar disorder often deal with suicidal thoughts. Knowing some common symptoms may help to recognize this particular disorder:
- Manic phase. Marked by a number of symptoms including euphoria, risky behavior, aggression, decreased sleep requirements, rapid speech, racing thoughts or extreme agitation.
- Depressive phase. Anxiety, sadness, suicidal thoughts, hopelessness, decreased appetite, trouble sleeping or increased mental difficulties.
- Seasonal symptoms. Some individuals may experiences drastic mood shifts along with the cycle of the seasons.
- Rapid cycling. Moving quickly between the manic and depressive phases in a few days or even hours.
- Psychosis. Detachment from reality that may include hallucinations or delusions.
Caring for Loved Ones
Dealing with a mental health disorder makes daily life very difficult, both for the individual with the disorder and those around them. With treatment, however, your loved one can learn to cope with mental health symptoms and live a more balanced life. If someone you love in Watsonville is struggling with suicidal thoughts or with mental health issues, contact us today and speak to an admissions coordinator who can help you identify the best mental health treatment program for their needs.