Across the nation, communities have responded in various ways to the tragic shootings and bombings that have occurred in recent years. One new tool being used to address the underlying mental health issue in Connecticut is Mental Health First Aid. This course teaches ordinary citizens in towns like Middletown, CT to respond to a mental health crisis. Compared by many to CPR, this course is designed for response and intervention in an emergency until professional help can arrive.
Treating mental health disorders such as depression and anxiety often involve therapeutic intervention and, in some cases, medication. There are also steps the individual can take on their own to ease their symptoms. Physical activity is known to be an effective way to deal with mental health disorders. Here are some benefits of exercise and physical activity in relation to mental health treatment:
- Exercising releases brain chemicals that make the individual feel better.
- Setting exercise goals and getting in better physical shape can give the individual more self-confidence and a better self-image.
- Exercise raises the body’s temperature, and this can have a calming effect.
- Physical activity can distract the individual from their issues and help them break certain negative thought patterns.
- Being physically active in a social setting and spending time around people can help the individual to improve their mood.
- Used as an alternative coping strategy, exercise can actually help the treatment process in ways that alcohol and drug use and other negative behaviors cannot.
The Future Is Bright With Treatment
Mental health issues need not keep those you love in Middletown from living healthy, fulfilling lives. If you are concerned about someone’s mental health, call this number today to learn more about options that can help them become healthier in every way.