This coming May, mental health advocates will gather near Sanford, Florida to take a walk, one of many annual NAMI Walks taking place around the country. Individuals who are suffering from mental health issues, their friends and family, and other mental health advocates use this yearly event to raise awareness about the issue of mental illness. The walkers also raise money to help provide care for those with mental health issues and to help educate the family and friends of those individuals.
Treating Mental Health Disorders
Mental health disorders can be crippling conditions that keep people from living normal lives. When treated appropriately, these individuals can find balance and peace, but many people may not know that mental health treatment can provide this nor do they know what it looks like. For those who suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), successful treatment can involve a number of components, including:
- Cognitive therapy. Modifying how the individual thinks about the trauma and also teaching them to cope more positively with feelings and reactions.
- Exposure therapy. Teaching people not to fear their memories through the process of therapeutically talking through the experience(s) with a mental health professional.
- Medication. Reducing symptoms of PTSD such as worry or sadness through pharmacological means.
- Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR). Studies show that this treatment helps to reduce symptoms by changing how the person reacts to traumatic memories.
- Other treatment options. Group therapy, family therapy, or psychodynamic psychotherapy could also be used in treatment.
Caring for Your Loved Ones
Helping your Sanford loved one move towards better mental health is simple. Contact us at the number listed above today to learn more about treatment options for those struggling with mental health issues.