Four-legged counselors are roaming the halls of Prospect High in Mount Prospect, IL. School officials there recognize the negative impact of stress on students’ mental well-being and are hoping that these dogs will help ease the stresses of students’ daily lives.
Animal-assisted therapy is an extremely effective therapy option for patients of all ages. Stress, depression, anxiety, substance abuse and other disorders have seen extreme improvement with the introduction of therapies that utilize the healing that a positive relationship with animals can bring. It’s one of many types of mental health treatment therapies that have been proven to be effective in the treatment of patients who may not thrive in the typical talk therapy setting.
Stress and Anxiety
If a mental health disorder already exists, it can be aggravated by stress. And if not dealt with, stress can lead to new mental health problems such as anxiety disorders. Thankfully, there are ways to reduce stress and deal with anxiety:
- Exercise. Physical activity helps relieve stress: walk, run, swim or do something you enjoy.
- Be less busy. Cutting unnecessary activities from your schedule may help reduce your overall stress.
- Get enough sleep. Facing the day’s stresses is hard when you are already tired.
- Talk to someone you trust. Tell a family member, friend, teacher or clergy person how you feel.
- Seek professional help. Mental health care professionals can help you deal your circumstances.
If someone you love in Mount Prospect is having difficulty managing their stress level or has a mental health disorder, help is available. Please call the number listed here to learn more about the treatment options available.