When many people think about treating mental health disorders, medication and therapy usually come to mind. But according to Dr. William Walsh, nutrition also plays a large role in our mental well-being. Dr. Walsh, who spoke to a group of nutritionists in the fall of 2012 in Oak Park, IL, states that the wrong mix of nutrients can cause our brain to work less effectively. Dr. Walsh highlights the fact that holistic and alternative treatments that address the connection between the mind and body can be hugely beneficial in providing patients with effective treatment.
Basic Elements of Recovery
Treating mental health disorders is a process. Mental health professional help individuals to learn about their condition and its causes, then they work with the patient to develop a plan of care. While each person takes a different path towards recovery, some common elements are often present in each person’s process:
- Holistic. Addresses the whole person and how their condition affects their entire life. Physical health, education, employment, housing, relationships, and other factors are considered.
- Non-linear. The process of recovery may not be a straight path. Setbacks may occur, but the goal is to move steadily towards better mental health.
- Strengths based. Builds on the individual’s existing strengths and using those strengths to help them manage challenges.
- Responsibility. Showing individuals the importance of taking ownership over the recovery process.
- Hope. Instills the motivation to work towards better mental health and a better future for themselves.
Effective Recovery From Mental Health Symptoms Can Start Now
If someone you love in Oak Park is struggling with mental health issues, a range of treatment interventions can be effective in helping them heal. Call to speak to an admissions coordinator today about the options available.