Hurricane Sandy might be a dim memory to many Americans, but many people in New Jersey are still dealing with its effects. The toll that such a disaster takes on people goes beyond the physical damage. Only now are many individuals beginning to feel the emotional impact of the disaster. Several organizations have been offering crisis care to individuals in towns like West New York, NJ who are struggling with mental health issues caused by the disaster.
Support Your Loved One Through Tough Emotional Times
When someone close to you is suffering from a mental health disorder, finding them appropriate care is important. But apart from professional help, there are also a number of ways that family and close friends can support and care for their loved one:
- Learn what you can about their condition and the treatments that are available for it.
- Keep expectations about their recovery realistic.
- Find support for yourself through a support group or some other means.
- Get personally involved in their treatment.
- If living with the individual, set appropriate boundaries for acceptable behavior.
- Encourage them as much as you can by noting their progress and helping them to keep a positive attitude.
- When situations become tense and have the potential to escalate out of control, stay calm and try not to overreact to the individual’s behavior.
An Admissions Coordinator Can Help Your Loved One Take the First Step Toward Treatment
When a loved one in West New York suffers from mental health issues, they need professional care as well as support from those close to them. Don’t delay in getting your loved one the professional help they need to improve their mental well-being. To learn about treatment options, speak to an admissions coordinator at the number above today.