According to Texas State Rep. Sylvester Turner, more than 4 million Texans suffer from some form of mental health disorder, including 1.2 million children. Mental illnesses are disorders of the brain, which can be effectively treated and managed if individuals receive appropriate and adequate care. That care can include a combination of medication, counseling, and community support services, including education and job training.
Basic Facts About Mental Illness
Many people who do not know much about mental health disorders may not know how to recognize them. In general, mental illnesses fall into two categories. First, serious and persistent mental illnesses are usually caused by psychological, biological, genetic or environmental conditions. Also, severe temporary stress can trigger situational mental illnesses. NAMI Texas lists some basic facts about mental illness:
- Mental illness can affect anyone. It does not discriminate based on age, gender, race or socioeconomic level.
- Mental illnesses are more common than cancer, diabetes, heart disease or AIDS.
- Mental Illness affects people of almost any age.
- Almost two-thirds of all individuals with a diagnosable mental disorder do not receive treatment.
- Many of those suffering from mental illness can return to normal lives if proper treatment is provided.
- Mental illness can, and should, be treated.
Getting Help is Easy
Recognizing a mental health issue is only the first step. There are mental health care options available for Texans who need it. For residents of New Braunfels, TX who are struggling with mental health disorders or mental illness, help is only a phone call away. Call us now to speak to a counselor and learn how you can get the assistance you need to heal.